Potato stamping of textiles is a perfect activity for children ages 5 and up. You can also stamp on paper with water colors and let the kids be creative and work on their personal artworks.
Here is how you stamp pillowcases or other textiles: You need textile colors, a brush, a knife, cookie cutters and POTATOES! YES, you read correctly, potatoes make perfect stamps. They are easy to mold and not too hard neither too soft to carve. This is the tutorial:
1. Cut the washed potato in half. It needs to be a clear cut thus you have a regular surface of the stamp.
2. Press the cookie cutter with the shape of your choice into the potato (at least one cm deep).
3. Leave the cookie cutter inside the potato and cut around with a knife.
4. Take out the cookie cutter and you have an ideal stamp.
5. Paint the stamp with a brush with liquid textile color and print the fabric with the design you like. You should have the cushion in front of your with thezipper downwards pointing to you - I realized only afterwards and some pillowcases have the zipper upwards or on the side…
6. Follow instructions of the textile paint how to fix the color (normally you have to iron it with a cloth on top).
You can draw free forms on the potato and cut the stamp with a knife instead of the cookie cutter or directly cut simple shapes like triangles, squares, half moons, etc. Be creative! You can also use lemons, an apple cut in half, peppers etc. to stamp fun shapes.
I am Miriam, German living in Spain, mother of 3 girls. I love an ECO-friendly life style, but it should be CHIC and practical. Let´s face it: ECO-products often have an image-problem, wrongfully! Here I share my experience and all the things I like. Not only CHIC products, but information to empower you to make conscious choices for your baby and family. Let´s all start with little things and altogether transform the world…
Don´t miss out on important information regarding your family, great photographs, DIYs, kid´s books, ECO and CHIC brands and products, informative videos and other exciting updates!
Enter your email to sign up for the Baby Eco Chic newsletter. It´s FREE!