Cotton is very natural, right??

Yes, BUT: did you know that conventional cotton agriculture uses 11 % of the total pesticide consumption in the world, applying it on an area, which equals only 2,4% of the agricultural surface in total on earth.

organic-cotton

The fact even worses, if you have a look at the use of insecticides only: one fourth of all insecticides used worldwide are applied in agriculture of cotton.

In a crop cycle those chemical toxics are applied up to 30 times and furthermore defoliating products are used before harvesting. These numbers steadily worsen, as vermin got resistand against the current pesticides and and normally cotton, which is a very sensitive plant, is cultivated in monocultures thus the plant becomes even more sensitive. All this triggers an “arms race”, because dosage has to be increased and more toxic chemicals have to be invented to serve the same purpose.

Soil is contaminated, the chemicals enter the ground wáter and at the end of the cycle toxics are detected in food, animals and in us. Agricultural workers in these fields (often working barefeed!) have a very limited life expectancy. There are comments that yearly up to 30.000 workers die as consequence of their intoxications. Many pesticides are carcinogenic, harmful for our genes and neurotoxic.

Some more facts to get goose bumps:

  • To raise the equivalent cotton for a t-shirt, 150 g of pesticides are applied on the field and 2.000 l of water (around 10 full bath tubs!) are used.
  • It does not end here, honey, as in textile production a huge amount of toxic chemicals are usually applied: up to 8.000 chemicals and 4.000 colorants, plasticizers and other hamful products.
  • It is common that the cotton content in a 100% cotton t-shirt is not more than 75% and the remaining 25%?? Colorants, plastizicers and other types of chemicals.

I explained in my post about natural fibers that everything (YES; EVERYTHING!) you put on your skin or the skin of your beloved baby is like eating it, although we frequently forget about that (just think how nicotine patches work…), Your baby has a much more sensitive skin and its immune sustem is still developing-

Organic cotton is cultivated alternating with other crops, which leaves the soil rich and without the use of toxic chemical fertilizers and pesticides. Depending on the seal/certificate (you can read something about this here), less harmful toxics are utilized for textile elaboration. Some of the toxics used in textile production are water-soluable and they vanish with frequent washing. This is one of the reasons why in Northern Europe second hand baby clothes are wanted as midwives inform about the fact that used clothes are healthier for your baby. Look up this post, if you are interested.

Conventional cotton does not only harm your baby, if you cover its delicate skin with it, but also the environment and the field workers. If you buy organic cotton(textiles, clothes, toys) it is equivalent for a healthy sustainable life for your family and the whole planet.

Do you want the best for your baby?? Next time you buy textiles think of it and take a conscious decision. At least onesies and pijamas in direct contact with the skin should be made of organic gibers.

Share it to increase consciousness!

Have a look at this post for other ideas to create a GREENER lifestyle.

Source: Das Umweltinstitut München e.V.

Facebook0Twitter0Google+0Pinterest0

{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Comment